Sunday, March 14, 2010

Julie Powell & Me


Last weekend I watched the movie Julie & Julia with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I expected. I mean, I knew I was going to love all the cooking, baking, and the talking about cooking and baking. What I didn't know, was that I was going to really dive into this movie, and actually get something out of it, besides hunger.

While watching Amy Adams portray Julie Powell, I found myself comparing my life to hers. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not going to start cooking like a mad woman. I related with her on the topic of never finishing anything. It is time to admit, that like Julie Powell, I am a starter, not a finisher. And like her, I don't like this about myself, actually, I kind of despise it. It is so easy to get really excited about a new idea, a new project, a new challenge, a new goal, and dive into it wholeheartedly, until the next thing comes along that really excites me. As you can probably imagine, it is not healthy to be this way.

By the end of the movie, I was balling, not because it was so cute that Julie Powell cooked a duck, or that Julia Child finished her book. But I was crying because I was so proud of Julie, for actually finishing it! I can't explain to you how proud I was of her, and as stupid as this sounds, I think I was so proud of her because deep down I knew that I wouldn't have finished it.

I am 27 years old (28 in 50 days) and I think it's about time I try to change this fact about me. So, I started to think about all things I've started lately that I have not finished:

  • This blog is a great example. My goal, when I started was to blog once a week, sadly, it's been more like once a month.
  • Thousands of projects around the house:
    • kitchen backsplash
    • painting the trim in various rooms
    • painting doors
    • replacing door knobs
    • and tons more...
  • Jewelry making
  • Drawing and painting 
  • Applying to graduate school
  • Exercising
  • And tons more...
The list could go on forever, but I'll stop now so not to bore you. So for now on, I am going to truly try to finish things I start. From small things like reading a book, to huge things like graduate school.

I can tell you that since I saw the movie, I have successfully started an exercise plan, and have kept up with it for 8 days - which is pretty major for me! The goal is to run a 5k in 50 days (yes, on my birthday). Wish me luck!

Also, I will be able to keep you guys posted on more accomplishments since I will go back to the original goal of posting a weekly blog entry. And since I work better with goals, here it is: My goal with this blog is to post at least once a week for the next 7 months. Since there are 42 weeks left in 2010, I will have at least 42 posts by December 31, 2010.

I have fun a year a head of me, and I'm glad that I will be able to share it with someone out there (whoever reads this).

Have a great week!

:o)

PS: Did I mention that I lost my camera? So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Counter